Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Florentine street life in San Francisco

Another mini-trip to The City today. This time, checked out North Beach. It's a neighborhood on the northeastern edge of San Francisco, characterized by many Italian restaurants and shops. The area is centered around Washington Square, and runs down Columbus Avenue toward the Transamerica Pyramid building. The terrain is hilly, as is most of the City, and the famous Lombard Street crooked decline is nearby. There are great views of the rest of the city as well as the Bay and beyond.

The two places we dropped in on were Stella Pastry Caffe' Italiano where we took a short break for espresso and the cream puff (seen on the left). A short stroll down Columbus brought us to the City Lights Bookstore, founded by poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti. A quick browse around the shop helped me appreciate the independent bookstore atmosphere that is so often lost in today's Borders-era big box culture. I didn't purchase anything this time around, since I had already made two bookstore purchases earlier this week, one at A Different Light in Castro and the other at Moe's Books in Berekeley. Took down more titles of books that I'd like to eventually read, after I get through the piles already waiting for me on my bookshelves at home.

No comments: